22 Tips on How to Survive Financially after a Job Loss
Well, how many of us face a situation when you are asked to leave your job with no notice. The answer is quite of a lot of us. Yes, it has been one of the highly followed methods for companies to reduce the cost to the company by cutting short the strength of the man power. Naturally, the employees here are terminated without any prior notice or indication. It could well be termed as harassment on part of the company, but nevertheless we all know they play it safe by reasoning the situation as cost cutting, low generation of income, unforeseen loss and many others. Some companies also reason as poor performance on part of the employee. Men or women face same situation and phase when they lose their job suddenly that seemed to be going so smooth. This article reads about how to overcome this stress, pressure and depression of losing a job. Let us go through these points which describe how to feel balanced and practical about having lost a job.
Having a loss of job or being stated as ‘you are not required anymore’, ‘sorry we are downsizing the strength of our organization’, ‘unfortunately we have not had a good year of revenue and hence we may have to terminate a few employees’, etc always hurts and depresses employees. The first thing an employee feels is shocked or blanked out. How to react in a given situation like this is neatly crafted below. This is sure to help all those employees who feel mentally low and less energetic to do anything in life after a situation like this falls into their lap.
1. Avoid panicking: The first and foremost thing employees get prone to is ‘panic’. On hearing a job loss, one may get shattered and disturbed mentally which eventually results in getting panicked. Avoid panicking and get stable to analyse what needs to be done as the next step. True, it is very difficult but coping up to overcome this phase is always better than supporting your feelings for what has happened and spending worthless time which makes one feel sick and lost in the world. The best way to overcome this immediate hurtful situation is to meditate, visit a place that actually soothe your mind and soul or even a person whose advise could actually put the pressure out of your mind. Decisions taken while being calm and peaceful is more worth than been made in a disturbed state.
2. Think positive: The second most important thing is to think positive. Rebuilding strength and confidence are the only two things which build your base to start a new search, and to gain this; one needs a lot of patience. Try not thinking of what has happened instead think positive to reassure that you are worth the experience and your talent is good to start a new job. Inducing positive energy instigates positive vibes, rebuilds confidence, supports your thinking ability, strengthens your dedication and pushes you to achieve more than before. With these good attributes that follow a positive thinker it is definitely easy to breathe and come out of a grieving period.
3. List some do’s and dont’s: Well, it is practical, logical and common that one should think about what should be done and what should not to be done if the person is unemployed. When the first step is followed and if it has helped in being calm then the next step is to re-arrange or re-organize those lists of things that were usually carried out as an employed individual. Because the expenditure now matters a hundred times more than the previous routine. Having said this, it is wise to spend very carefully and not pour out money and involve ourselves in activities that actually supports the depression or sadness that is caused due to job loss. List how much can be saved out of the remaining bank balance and follow a stringent rule of expenses until one finds a job.
4. Plan your money: Many of us do save some money for the rainy season, but note – not all. There are still people who are forcibly committed with some liabilities or some who actually think they have a reliable job in hands and hence both these people could not or would not have saved any money. But relax, this is no time to get mentally week, approach the best ever person who can help you survive in a situation like this or seek help from the governing bodies who would have options and a helping hand. You could also mortgage personal possession if any although this advice should only be considered as a last resort.
5. Do a research: Once you know you have enough money to survive for the next one or couple of months, it is time to think about the current market scenario and job requirements. It is important to do a thorough analysis of all three aspects such as social, economical and political status of the time period. Doing so enlightens you about the kind of jobs that are in demand and those that are of average chances and the ones which actually have no demand. With the help of these analysis, study which job can be fetched easily and how can that be cracked positively.
6. Be open to jobs: Jobs are of varied kinds, but for the given scenario there can be two major suggestions and lets pretext those different possibilities.
a) For the person who has actually saved a good amount of money and have more number of experience: In this situation, if the person wants to wait religiously to get that suitable job so as to not let go off their previous experience in vain, then they can wait and opt only for those jobs that actually can satisfy their passion.
b) For those who have borrowed money, or have fewer saving or just with minimum no. of years of experience: In this situation, the person should rather switch to a job even if it may not belong to his or her previous experience or not their domain of education. Because this job is the need of the hour to stock some money and to support their situation. Hence approaching a job for time being will act as a good start which eventually tries to build your confidence.
In both the cases although the crisis is same, the needs differ based on the money or savings or possessions they have. It is true, this situation may not affect much to a person who is already well off and safe to continue a good journey but for a person who relies completely on a job source, it will be difficult to recoup.
7. Set a target: Setting a target keeps you on toes and helps you to quickly make your actions. Once you decide on what kind of a job is apt for you, set a date to finish your search. This helps you being organized and more active in searching as many jobs as possible.
8. Do your homework: Revisit your phone diaries or contact lists for ex-employers who can help you fetch a placement, friends who are in the same field, a free news paper ad, web sites that freely accept your ad, etc. Apart from this, one can also find jobs through online search and classifieds on news paper. These are some of the cost effective ways to find a job and it also works most of the time.
9. Start your search wisely: Start your job search with effective and productive ways than spending more money into finding a job. Contact employers through emails or phone calls. Drop into offices that may call for walk-ins rather than wait for them to call you back or email you. Cover as many companies as possible, so that you have enough chances to bag a job.
10. Revisit your resume: Update your resume for best results. Rebuild you resume and make it interesting by highlighting your strengths and proving your facts and achievements. One should achieve things in a more realistic way and with new ideas to be at par to prove newer competitions.
11. Online jobs: Although not all online jobs can provide you a good salary but to keep you going with your daily and basic requirements one can always seek help from online employers or try approaching freelancer jobs. These jobs pay you reasonable money and save you from being helpless.
12. Talent that can help you: Awaken your hidden talent or things that you once considered as a hobby. These things might surely be of some good help. Taking some classes, probably doing workshops, teaching subjects etc are always saving lines in such situation if you think you have still not found a job.
13. Explore: Having lost a job suddenly is definitely a bad sign but on the other hand positive thinking exposes you to the world that actually you have not known for long. Yes new opportunities, new companies, new skills, new technologies used etc all are discovered in this phase.
14. Educate/Upgrade: As mentioned previously this phase teaches you new things that you would have overlooked otherwise. Hence this may also provide you an opportunity to upgrade your knowledge skills in your domain or even educate yourself with new required and most searched skills for a company.
15. Keep in touch: Keep in touch with your ex-colleagues who are in job and those who can provide you some insights of what new is happening in the industry.
17. Don’t give up: It is a fight, you should not give up. Have the courage to face the new challenges and survive the situation. Hope, dream, effort, dedication, positive thinking, having faith, believing in you, trusting your achievements etc all are attributes that must be fixed in your mind.
18. Learn a lesson: Well ‘whatever happens in life; happens for good’. It is important to realise the worth of money. This situation forces you to live with stringent expenditure and helps you learn money saving methodologies. These will help you save more money and make you spend less on unwanted materialistic things even after you start earning sufficient. This will pave way for saving money on a futuristic thought for all those individuals who have had no control over spending money.
19. Part time jobs: There could be part time jobs that may not satisfy your requirements but are advisable to approach as they may pay you to survive and come out of the current scenario.
20. Be flexible: Flexibility is one of the important things one must learn in this kind of a situation. The need of the hour is money and hence one should be approachable for jobs that may sometimes demand working in shifts or even working overtime, as far as it is on legal terms.
21. Arrange liquid money: If you possess any movable tangible assets or even precious assets (Gold, silver, jewellery) which you think may help in covering you until you find a job, then you must liquidate these assets instead of borrowing money from a legal entity like bank. As the interest paid on such money is high and the cooling period for some loans are only for a limited period.
22. Deposit money: Invest your savings previously made or money that has emerged out of liquidation, into a profit generating deposit so as to earn good amount of interest that you can live with and breathe until you earn a good job.